View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
haha, also, on the first post of this page in the last picture, what is the black squiggly worm swimming away from your coral thats over top of the white rock? Im sure its nothing but just funny it got in the shot
It is probably a piece of poo :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
which of the corals in this latest post of pics are SPS?

Also, what special requirements do SPS need? Im trying to figure out if, after my tank has a few months to develop, I can get some SPS corals?

I have an coralife aqualight pro with three 250W MH and four 96W blue actinics along with moon lights.

I do not have a UV sterilizer or calcium reactor yet. Are those required? Let me know what else SPS needs including dosing if any?
Pics #1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 are SPS. SPS stands for Small Polyp Stony corals. This means they have a hard calcium skeleton with small polyps which extend out from skeleton. If you look closely at them you can see their tiny little polyps. LPSs are Large Polyp Stony corals, like in picture #3, where they have a calcium skeleton as well but their polyps are much much larger :-)

Your light fixture will be sufficient for growing SPS. However, light isn't the only factor. They also need very clean and well skimmed water so investing in a good quality skimmer is a must (in my opinion; others may disagree). Lots of people dose chemicals, I do not (yet). Nor do I use a Calcium Reactor but lots of people do. I do not use a UV sterilizer either, although some people swear by them. Are they required? Well, that depends who you talk to :-) They are not required for me, but some may feel they are required. Maintaining a proper temperature, salinity, PH, alkalinity, all very important as well.