View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default Put a lid on it!

Right, so the stand turned out pretty good. Well, at least I like it. I used the exact same plans as I did with my 90g tank. Basically we have 8 1x2 leg supports with panels attached to both of the short sides (overflow and return). Cutouts on both of those panels to support a fan cooling system (air in one end out the other to provide laminar air cooling if needed). The top rails are 1x4s for a frame braced by 1x2s running along the long edge. Pretty stiff and stable. The combo light fixture will sit on top of the canopy. nearly 6 foot long panels attached by hinges for access.

Both of the long panels on the canopy open for easy access to either side.

The 1"x3" panels that I used for the top part of the canopy was pretty flimsy so they needed some sort of support, especially for a 6 foot span. My original gut feeling was that I was going to have to put a leg or two in the middle on either side. I really didn't want to do this because i liked the clean wide open space that I had for working with. What I came up with was a brace using a 1x2 screwed into the 1x3 top panels. The 1x2 sits on its 1" side so it is nice and stiff. It really only needs to support the weight of the doors, which aren't that heavy. Even though the combo light will be sitting on top of the canopy the legs of the combo light actually sit on far ends which are supported by the legs, so no worries about sagging or stress on that long 6 foot run. You can see the brace that I painted gray just behind the doors.

And finally, a full tank shot from the living room.

Last edited by kien; 08-05-2009 at 05:03 PM.