Thread: lastlight's 225
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I came up with new units of measurement tonight!

When shimming the 3/4" decorative box up into place I was adjusting by book increments. Larger adjustments called for an 'm.c. escher hardcover' up for example...and to fine tune I began increasing by several 'dr suess hardcovers' before finishing with a couple carefully placed 'children's softcovers'.

I haven't got a metric conversion table prepared I'm sorry. The moral of the story is buy your kids books =)

So after measuring about 50 times I carefully cut two holes and drilled pilot holes for the mounting screws. I was terrified because the box is 3/4" maple, heavy and my margin for error is small. Had to hit the 3/4" maple mounts dead center and avoid any other areas since wires are moving within. Fitting the wires back into place with the box mere inches from it's final resting spot was brutal. It essentially took me over 3 hours to prep and hoist it into place before securing it.

It's 95% done. Just need to fill the screw holes with filler and touch-up. In the future any maintenance on the light/bulbs will need to be done suspended or I will have to attach temporary weights to keep the wires inside on their bearings. Be a NIGHTMARE to remove the box and do this all again!

You can see in the pics that I removed the wooden training wheels. 100% committed now although I quite literally cringe when operating it. I'll learn to trust it with time lol.

Up:

Down: