View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Will having no eyesight cause his death, I am confused or is it a virus that will kill him in
the end. Could he not learn to adapt to the no eyesight? I could think he could still have
a chance or am I wrong????
The disease is an auto-immune system disorder, basically his immune system has targeted something in his eyes and is attacking them. What happens is his iris fuses to the lense so the eye is completely closed, the medications that are available suppress the agent that the immune system is attacking and therefore suppress the inflamation. Since it's not a virus or bacteria there is no cure, just postponement.

As far as life as a blind animal goes, I am afraid it is out of the question. It's not like having a blind dog who stays in the house and is led around all the time in safety. From what I have read, he would have to be isolated from other horses as he would constantly be pushed away from feed and water, or run the risk of being chased into a fence or tree that he didn't see, as he got kicked to the bottom of the peking order, he would have to stay in a smaller paddock with special fencing and no risk of gopher holes to break his leg in. In short, everything horses love would be taken away from him. It would be an incredibly dark, lonely and unfulfilling existence. Some horses can go on to lead somewhat successful lives as school animals but Murphy has been my roping/cutting/ranching horse for most of his 11 years and is way, way too hot tempered for kids. I am also curious about whether the pain continues even after the eye goes blind, I would imagine it does.