View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road
Wink

I agree with the finding a tradesman to inspect. SMART. Most home inspectors are a waste of money IMO. There is no provincial standard for inspectors. Anyone can be one with a SHORT course. As for city inspections on new houses, you would be amazed at what gets missed. How long is the course to be a city inspector? About 6 weeks. City inspectors should have to be a trade person for min. 10 years. Buy a house that was designed and built with an architect and an engineer, most are not. Engineers go to school for quite a few years to learn what they are talking about. I've been building for 16 years and some of the stupidest things I have ever heard have come out of city inpectors mouths. City inspectors inspect the rules written in a book. They have no room for flexibility. There are much better ways to do things besides the BCBC (British Columbia Building Code). A city inspector can only inspect the BCBC, they can't see better ways, An Architect or Engineer can.
Sorry if anyone is a city inpector, but on a project with architects and engineers, all they do is collect paper work and cause problems.
Anyways that is the most I have ever typed in my life and it took me a long time. If anyone wants to yell at me. pm me and you can have my #