View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c me fish View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, what I understood is that a tank with a half inch trim on the bottom would not need a plywood board underneath it if it was going on a steel stand?

The bottom glass pane of my "new" tank is raised a 3/4 inch on black trim, I filled it up with water a while ago (while it was still on a skid) to make sure it would hold, and it was fine for a couple of months. Yesterday I emptied it, and drilled it, and am currently prepping a steel stand for it and was wondering about plywood as well, as in if it's even a necessary buffer. Also do I need foam under it? or just under the supporting trim, or just under the bottom pane of glass? And by pink foam do you mean the stuff you can get at Home Depot?

Thanks
yes, Most tank bottoms are of such a thickness that they will support the weight of the water just on the edges. Thats why most assembly line tanks have trim on the bottom that spaces them up. A tank can be supported JUST on the ends, without worry. Looks really earry having a tank up in the air, but the glass IS strong enough. The reason for the foam under trimless tanks is to eliminate the point loading if there was a speck of dirt, or a pebble between the glass and the stand. This pebble would create intence pressure in one little spot on the bottom, that it can crack the glass.

Umm, a tank or 5