Thread: Geothermal
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 02:52 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

The one contractor I spoke with mentioned that to convert using my current forced air system, the geothermal installation would provide supplemental heat through electricity when required. I assume the inside unit will include heating elements to do this. I think in the long run, electrical power is more sustainable than natural gas or propane since those are both fossil fuels and the well will run dry at some point. Perhaps not in our lifetime and natural gas is still relatively inexpensive compared to electricity, but there's lots of sun available in the Okanagan, so with the improvements in solar panel technology as well as wind power, it's only a matter of time before the tide turns. Some time in the future, maybe not that far, the major utilities will get a rude awakening, somewhat akin to what the financial sector and auto industry are currently experiencing. A dose of reality. By having a geothermal system, you are in effect, your own utility. As more and more people buy into this technology, prices will drop. De-centralized utilities will become more prevalent. Wind farms may be an eyesore, but they don't mess with air quality and there's no fear of oil spills with tankers traveling half way around the world to deliver the goods, not to mention ruptured pipelines.... Ok, now I'm really off on a tangent.

Good info being brought forward here though, thanks again & keep it coming.