Thread: Sump Baffles
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road
Default Baffled about baffles? lol

I have built quite a few sumps now and with a "Herbie" style drain baffles are not really required. The only important baffles in my opinion are the ones that separate your skimmer from the rest of the sump. Without these you cannot keep your skimmer in a constant level of water which I feel makes the skimmer run less efficiently (this problem can be somewhat fixed with an ATO although there will still be some fluxuation). Also if your skimmer is not recirculated it may be more prone to sucking up 'critters' without a separate skimmer chamber/compartment. Just my two bits.

P.S All of my sumps have been deep sumps( just enough room to handle the tank displacement when the power is off/out.) Might as well get the most volume out of the tanks possible. 6.24imp gal per cubic foot or 7.5 us gal per cubic foot. 1cuFT=1728cuIN
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.

Last edited by Skimmin; 05-19-2009 at 04:40 AM.