Thread: Whaling
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

The whaling industry has changed greatly over the years, initially whaling was to get the oils that the whale had in its blubber. virtually all these oils can be created with synthetics now. As for the differences between PETA and The Sea Shepard society, yes they are both business's..both have had their share of doubters and supporters, however IMO while I believe no animal should suffer, I am not going to get bent out of shape about chickens or pigs as they are "raised" as food animals. Whale and seals aren't raised or farmed they are "culled" and like the fishing industry they are virtually driven to extinction. If chickens or pigs were endangered it might be a different story. Now I dont want to get any chicken or pig lovers against me here so don't spew facts about how chickens and different farm animals are kept or slaughtered. I don't agree with all the methods but I don't agree with a lot of PETA's idea's as well. I do agree that people get a lot more involved when the animals are "cute and cuddly" and are less supportive if they are not a cute animal. say like the slaughter of sharks so to speak, not many people are concerned about the shark harvesting that exists today.....Safe to say is that for the time being there are always going to be different views and the beauty of this is we have the ability to voice our opinions for the most part without censorship and retaliation.