View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Septic tank wastes are broken down by bacteria. Water going to the tank decreases the parts per million, bacteria to water. The more bacteria you have the faster the wastes are assimilated. For every gallon you send down the pipe to the tank, one gallon has to leave the tank for the field. The length of field you need is determined by the type of soil you have and your local regulations.
So
Do not send water to the septic tank from your aquariums.
Do not use a garburater, as this is just more work for the bacteria.
Once or twice a year, flush down a dead mouse.
Find some packets of bacteria and flush these down once a year, just before going on vacation. I bought mine at the local co-op.
Use only liquid soap.
If you can stand to do this, there was a motto "If its yellow, let it mellow, if its brown flush it down" lol
I only had a septic tank. When I bought that place, I had to find out all I could about it and asked around and gleaned this bit of info from an old guy, now deceased RIP
Everyone had two tanks. One for the sinks, showers/bath and laundry called a soap box, the second for the toilets, called a septic tank. See the analogy? Less water to the septic. You only had to clean out the soap box more often, because the soap comes out of solution when it gets cold.
These days, to "save" money, only one tank is needed, just clean it out more often!!!
Done by others, as you certainly do not want that job! When I moved out of there, I had to get the tank cleaned as well, for the new owners. 200$
Remember, less water means less cleaning out. Sorry for being so long winded