View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 PM

newreefer_59 is on a distinguished road
Default Still have algae issues in 4 1/2 month old reef tank >:-(

Set up new 150 gallon tank 4 1/2 months ago. Approx 150 pounds of LR with a 180 gallon Vertex skimmer. 6 X 4' T5 lighting and Tunze 6055 powerheads with controller (just to give you an idea of my current equipment).

Tank was first started with tap water, but all water changes (15% weekly) in the past 2 months are with RO/DI water with salinity at 1.023 and temp at mid seventies.

I have several snails in there now and a cleaner shrimp that appear in good health. Also a few LPS corals. These were put in perhaps too early as was perhaps the lighting.

Question: started getting grass-like green algae 3 months ago growing mainly on the LR that has now changed to a murky looking hair algae that never seems to go away. I can spend 2 hours scrubbing it off the LR in a seperate bucket, but within 2-3 days it starts growing on some (not all) of the rock and my glass. It has eased off a bit I believe, but still grows too much for my liking and it probably not a good thing to be scrubbing my LR every week or so to get it off (which I am sure is not addressing the actual reason this is happening).

Is there any suggestions out there for this? Any further info you require? I have taken suggestions from a member's posting which is very much appreciated, and done as large a water change as practical, etc.... but nothing seems to have worked so far.

Thanks.