View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
If you use 2 separate float controls, and set the upper limit for both the SW fill and the FW top off at the same level, then you would not need to up the Sg in the fill water. That is how I was planning to run my setup. ATO and SW use separate start floats, but the same stop float so that no salinity is lost in the tank. Thats the easy part. Its making the SW automatically thats the tricky part. So I dont have to store 50g of SW for changes when I'm away.

PS, If I get this right, I have a feeling those of you with LARGE tanks would love it. 400g+, must get tiresome mixing all the SW up all the time, huh?
Yeah that works if you run that style of top off, I however don't usually use such systems. The systems I use only have one float switch for level control and some have an extra float switch up higher but only for safety if the primary were to fail. Either way same thing.

I also agree with the rest, I also don't consider a system automated unless you do absolutely nothing but I've been down that road and invested money into R&D trying to develop a way of adding salt automatically. In the end I concluded that there wasn't an efficient way to do it, anything that would work reliably was too expensive and still not that reliable. Biggest problem is humidity, even in low humid environments salt will clump up quickly if exposed and combined with the typically more humid environments, where open water exists, this problem is amplified. This makes it even more difficult to implement.

Like I said before in the end adding a few cups of salt on a regular bases is a very simple task, unless you married a turkey I think she could probably manage. You could even set an alarm to remind her

Please note I meant absolutely no offense with any of this, just had to say it, I've noticed an increase in sensitivity over the last few months