Thread: Filter Socks...
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Got a link for the "don't bother" thread at RC? Would be interested to read it.

Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I only change mine out about 2 weeks or so .. it's pretty gross by the time I get around to it, and even still I think it's too danged often considering the PITA I find it to be. Of couse I make it worse by trying to pick off every copepod brittlestar worm stomatella etc. and tossing them back into the tank. And just given how tight the sump area is (tank is a 30" cube so don't have much space at all to work with), it's impossible to remove the filter sock without getting water spilled which of course makes the stand want to rust out even more.

BUT, I'm sort of stuck as the sump has a lot of flow and is short, without the sock the microbubbles are out of control. So for now I think I'm stuck with them, but it would be nice to explore reasons not to bother with the next tank.
Well the thread was about all kinds of stuff but filter socks came up. I will get the link.

Basically if they aren't changes every few days, they become nitrate producers. The other point I think was that if you feed your corals then its pointless to have filter socks...although then a skimmer is too. But I guess the point was that you are also taking away coral food (fish poop).