View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:26 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

There's just so much to watch for but that's assuming the builder will give you access to the home during the build.

Just a heads up, had some issues in my place where the Inspector had passed them, then it was good luck getting the builder to change (even though the Inspector admitted fault). Other thing to show the City Inspector scam is I was there and he signed the Occupancy for the house, I questioned how could he sign off the deck was built correctly when all the material was still strapped together in a bundle in the backyard and the gas hadn't been turned on yet, told not to worry, Builder's a good guy.

Other thing is don't count on a Home Warranty Program to save you, they lean so much towards the builder it's unreal. Been a while since since I dealt with this but eg. tiles. there can be a difference in height between the tiles up to something like 3/8" before the Warranty will action, a 8' wall off level by 3/4".

Keep an eye on the floor joists, something how the different trades don't have a problem cutting them up.

My biggest miss, though can be easily fixed with a Jackhammer, was the rough in for the downstairs bath and some of the drain and vent runs around the joist and beams (easier just a hacksaw).

Where I'm going with my rant is keep on the builder to address problems ASAP and no matter what he's not your buddy so don't feel bad for staying on his case. Any upgrades, changes, specially you're paying for, get in writing.

Rant off now, the one thing I wished I did was go with, though wasn't offered, was the 9' basements, something to consider.