View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
I think all Anthia's should be on the YELLOW list. Maybe RED depending on the type.
Agreed but your going to have to start to get quite specific. Most Anthias will fit on one of the two lists for various reasons. Some are temperate fish for example and just don't belong in our tropical reefs. There are some species that do ok but need specific feedings. You can't just put Anthias on the list (not that you were suggesting that).

I think lists like this can start to get complicated unless you start to add sub categories and not generalize. The Bamboo sharks were a good example...too many species that vary in size to say they all reach 4'.

IMO, pretty much any species should be available. I just don't think they should be part of a regular shipment or common to see in a stores display. Many of the fish on that red list should be special order fish, probably making them expensive and only really sought after by a serious buyer. Someone with the proper set up. I think the real killer in this hobby is impulse buys and lack of knowledge. If these fish are not seen, not easy to get, the average person isn't going to want or look for them but when a Copperband Butterfly is $25 and in stores every few weeks...well people will keep buying and killing them. I am guilty of this. But if someone (and I know someone who does) wants to buy Zoa frags and sponges for their Moorish Idol regularly, then there is no reason they should not be able to keep these fish. His eats absolutely anything it seems anyways...even nori

Will never happen but would be nice. This list is a great idea to at least encourage and remind us to make the right decision.