View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 04:35 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
I don't even think about it, I enjoy it so its's worth every penny.

Besides, my other hobby is collecting Militaria, and I have been known to spend over $5000 on a single tunic. (Once I get my basement renos finished and have my war room set up proper I am happy to show anyone that comes over )
Maybe its just that I have other expensive hobbies as well

Actually I spend more on traveling (not so much the past year though) which I used to consider a hobby. As well, I used to collect mid century modern furniture which is also much more expensive then aquariums.

But like I said, its not so much the cost as it is what I get for that money. I guess I just don't see the hobby really being worth what we are charged. Not that I am going to stop buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Theres no hard and fast rule that says you need to spend that much on a skimmer. Ultimately you wanted it and thats just the way it is. I can certainly say I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a skimmer. I always buy used and frankly, I'd rather fritter it away on crap (and believe you me, I can do that like nobodys business, this year has been a record setter)
I agree to a point. I didn't have to buy a $1000 skimmer but at the same time, I messed around with crappy cheap ones for so long that I did feel it necessary if I wanted to keep a high bioload and clean water.