Thread: 'PicoSurge'
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

I settled on (roughly) 1 liter every 4 seconds as a guideline for getting the flow I want in the time span I want... Here's how I figured it:

1l / 4 secs = 25l /min (around 6 gallons / min)
6 gallons x 60 mins = 360 gph or 60x turnover

EDIT: Also, I think the span between the surges have to be reasonably short, and the surge itself has to be very fast. I'm going to be playing around with 3/4" piping, I'm not sure if the flow will be fast enough... I might have to go get some 1" pipe

Realistically the volume will likely be less than this, more like 50x turnover because I feel that 60x might be too much? If the flow is turbulent (I'm trying to avoid this) this will be too much flow. If I decide to go with the MiniJet pumps as I mentioned before, they are rated for around 150 gph. If I bought a pair (which I would) that gives me 50x turnover during the day and 25x at night (less once you take into account head loss).

I would actually like to surge the full volume of water that will move through the display, which is why I'm planning for 2 surge tanks (one timed different and with a different volume). Still working the kinks out, I'll know more this week some time. I have to get a pail and some silicone to build a prototype of my surge siphon

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 02-23-2009 at 05:59 PM.