View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 01:40 PM

Don E is on a distinguished road
Default 20g no-fish nano: talk me through the next steps

Hi, all.

Well, my tank has been cycling now for a few weeks- the ammonia has peaked and is dropping fast and the nitrite should be doing so soon.

My plan is for the tank to be a no-fish nano, stocked entirely with captive-raised frags and critters.

My live rock is about 30 lbs of lace rock from Big Al's. It looks beautiful and is extremely porous.

After the rock cycles, I will be sucking up to all of you for scoops of live sand and rock rubble to populate the tank with 'pods and the like.

My question: which corals can go in a new tank first? How slowly should I proceed?

(I have 100w of light in the form of compact fluorescent bulbs- I will probably boost this to 120w eventually. I have no skimmer, just a hang-on penguin with the biowheel removed, for circulation. I will do 10 percent water changes weekly.)

Eventually, I want: mushrooms, colt, xenia, finger leather, green star polyp, and maybe a candycane and red open brain.

Can I put the mushrooms in right after it cycles? Should I add pods and snails and wait a few weeks? How fast should I proceed with the corals?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

don