View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 06:38 PM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossb
Jon how much carbon do you go through in a month? Do you use carbon in addition to regular water changes? I'm thinking I might give this a try.
Hey Ross, I run about 1/3 of a litre so about 300ml of carbon. I purchase the 1L seachem bottles and that last's me 3 months. My waterchanges are very random in my tank.... I used to do them monthly then went to bi weekly and now it's been kind of a when ever I want to do it thing. I used to see a diffrence in the corals when I did a waterchange but I no longer see this perk up affect.

Brad, do you run a fuge? I have 1/3 of my 75g sump sectioned off as a refugium. I don't have very many softies in the tank at all, but the fuge is full of algae.

Tony, I find the actuall affects on the new carbon to be extremely noticeable. My water is not pea soup but I do notice the diffrence between before new carbon and after. So do some of the corals
With my carbon Tony I just change it montly and then I don't clean it or the bag at all. When I go to change the carbon the bag is not blocked with crap what so ever.

Jamie, The splitting it evey 2 weeks sounds good but that would require more effort . The one aspect of that I don't like is your always going to be keeping some portion of the old carbon in the bag. Correct?

Doug, I will pick up some Marineland carbon next time I switch it and see what happens... I just swithce the carbon a few days ago so It will be a few weeks till I switch it again.
What's your idea about the diffrence with marineland?

Thanks very much all!
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca