View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Realistically, any fish has the potential to jump. But some are just worse for it than others. Fairy wrasses (any species), dartfish, jawfish .. eels.. I can't think of any others offhand but I'm sure the list is longer.

I have a Tek New Wave (cheaper unit, no splash guard, looks a little like a typical shop light except is T5HO), just hang it so that the lamps are about 3" off the water surface. Seems to be OK. I do have to wipe off the salt creep every couple of months but it's not significant. Otherwise it seems to be OK.

It doesn't really get splashed on per se, if it was, I'm sure this would be bad. But generally speaking you don't get splashing in a tank, only ripples. Where the salt creep comes from is air bubbles, when they pop at the surface sometimes a little tiny dot of water gets on the reflector or lamp, which of course puts a miniscule amount of salt when it evaporates. On a day to day basis it's negligible but over a couple of months I notice it and then just take it and clean it off.