View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

I can't believe that BRS has high shipping on the rock! Are you making your order more than $200? They have special shipping rates when you're under $200. I found the shipping to be very reasonable when I looked into buying some of their Tonga Shelf rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa1979 View Post
On 35 pounds of rock shipping was 60 something, 90 something for the rock when I was pricing around for some.

I just went with wet rock locally in the end. It would be up to each individual to decide whats reasonable for shipping and whats not.
Err, yes, it helps if you put in the right post code - price came down from $130 to $46

Quote:
You absolutely do not need that many critters for cleanup. When you look at LFS's suggested cleanup crews they are ridiculous. When a tank is first set up there will be a bloom in algaes, and the clean up crew (cuc) is there to help, but if you get a cuc that is large enough to keep your new tank clean right from the start you will end up losing a lot of the cuc to starvation when the tank balances itself out. For a 25g tank I would suggest starting with (after the cycle has completely finished) 2-3 Astrea snails, 4-5 Cerith snails, and maybe 4-6 Nassarius. Be aware that hermits will kill snails if they get hungry or want the snails' perty shell for their home. For that reason, I have refused to keep hermits in my tanks.
That sounds a bit more sustainable for sure, thanks for the tip on the hermits will have to think carefully about that..

Quote:
No, the wet/dry is not suitable. The "dry" part will be a nitrate factory yes. carbon impregnated anything is awful stuff as it is made with carbon dust, or real fine carbon which a certain amount becomes dislodged and ends up in the water column. That is bad.
I see, so your biological filtration is then all done in your live rock/sand.

Robin.