View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by awa1979 View Post
May I ask why you dislike the Remora? I've got one and so far no issues, just wanting to know if I should expect something in the future.
I have fiddled with my Remora for over two years. In the beginning it did an ok job (decent skimmer for the price), but as my tank ages and there is less and less waste I find the Remora isn't efficient enough to get what waste there is. So I find it useless on my low nutrient tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFry View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice so far...

As I suspected, the Tang is out until I get a bigger tank... The dry rock is the way I'll go, I think. The dry fijii rock from bulk reef supply looks really nice and would be my preferred option, but the shipping was going to be almost twice the price of the rock! So I guess that I'll end up with the south seas lace rock that I can get from in Canada and shipped cheaply...

I guess I hadn't really thought too much about the clean up crew, which is probably a mistake. I have to admit that the thought of ending up with 20-30 snails and 3-5 hermits in a 25 gallon tank is blowing my mind a bit - I don't know whether there'll be that much to clean up!

With regards to the filter, I guess you're worried about it becoming full of nitrates? There are not any bio-balls or anything like in there, just a pair of what look like heavy duty nylon scourers that provide some mechanical filtration. The guy at the LFS has already suggested replacing these with some that are impregnated with carbon. I guess I can always keep swapping them out one at a time if they start to get too clogged up.. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Robin.
I can't believe that BRS has high shipping on the rock! Are you making your order more than $200? They have special shipping rates when you're under $200. I found the shipping to be very reasonable when I looked into buying some of their Tonga Shelf rock.

You absolutely do not need that many critters for cleanup. When you look at LFS's suggested cleanup crews they are ridiculous. When a tank is first set up there will be a bloom in algaes, and the clean up crew (cuc) is there to help, but if you get a cuc that is large enough to keep your new tank clean right from the start you will end up losing a lot of the cuc to starvation when the tank balances itself out. For a 25g tank I would suggest starting with (after the cycle has completely finished) 2-3 Astrea snails, 4-5 Cerith snails, and maybe 4-6 Nassarius. Be aware that hermits will kill snails if they get hungry or want the snails' perty shell for their home. For that reason, I have refused to keep hermits in my tanks.

No, the wet/dry is not suitable. The "dry" part will be a nitrate factory yes. carbon impregnated anything is awful stuff as it is made with carbon dust, or real fine carbon which a certain amount becomes dislodged and ends up in the water column. That is bad. Carbon should always be put into a filter sock that you can tie up so the carbon doesn't move when the water passes through to prevent grinding and powering. The only thing you need a power filter (of any sort) for is to run carbon and/or phosphate media. The most efficient carbons are purchased bulk; I like Kent Reef Carbon the best. Be sure to rinse all carbon in cool RO/DI water until the runs clear before putting it into your filter.

SPS fanatic.