Thread: 280g Inwall
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'll start with the floor. I opted to paint the concrete because I thought that would be easier and quicker than lino. I was probably wrong.

It turns out you need to "etch" concrete, preferably with muriatic acid, before you can paint it. Home Depot would not sell me muriatic acid .. "Are you nuts? That stuff is far too dangerous." Uhhh thanks guys, but the paint YOU sold me said I have to in the instructions? I finally found a guy working there who knew of an alternative though, so off I went.

But first, the floor drain. I had a floor drain installed by the housebuilders. But I never thought to look at it. I finally popped the cover off and found .. it was not a floor drain but just a pipe encased in concrete.

I didn't think to take a picture of it initially. After about 6 hours of bashing the concrete with a sledgehammer and chisel, and a hearty dose of swearing, I got it to this point..

Hard to tell in the photo but the pipe isn't even centred in the hole. Technically, I should have just jackhammered the concrete, installed a proper drain and repour concrete, but that was just not on the table. I just worked the concrete until it's a basic funnel shape and left it at that for now.

Here's Tasha inspecting the drain hookup from the laundry sink. You can tell she's thinking "WTF?"

Plumbing installed (hot and cold lines, I used 3/4" pipe) and drain installed:

I opted for 3/4" line because I thought it might be better for the RO/DI feedline, the more pressure for RO, the better.

I also subverted the household pressure regulator so I get about 96psi at the tap and a reasonable output from the RO/DI.

I don't have a picture handy but one thing I did that was a sort of "oops" was install the regulator back on the household supply backwards. OOOPS. It makes a rather interesting sound as it slams shut at the speed of sound and you wonder why there's no water coming out of any taps in your house ....

Last edited by Delphinus; 01-04-2009 at 06:04 AM.