View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 03:53 AM

heyfredyourhat is on a distinguished road

This thread has some good stuff in it! I work in a bodyshop/mechanic shop.
One of our techs once told me the origin of the word apprentice, long story short, "ape-rent-is, or ape for rent" They need to learn and any decent shop would glady allow them to learn, but not let work go out their doors unless it is done properly. But shops do get busy, and people do forget.

One thing that bugs me. If the shop charges 3 hours to fix a job that was done in 45 minutes, why should they exploit the techs skills and pull money away from him by only charging 45 minutes or even one hour? Lets take interior handles on chev pickups (pre 2000 i think) an apprentice we had took about 1.5 hours to change it. I do it easily in 15 minutes. Customer would only pay like .5 or even just throw in a donut fund, then i get screwed, but i do like donuts so its not too too bad

A few of the techs i know have well over a 100K in tools. Scanners and diagnostics tools are in the 10K range each. It adds up. If i had to buy all my tools again right now, including my box, i would guess i'd be looking at close to 15K. We always joke around that we can go buy a hammer and a tool belt for 10 bucks at princess auto and build a house!

Last edited by heyfredyourhat; 01-03-2009 at 03:57 AM.