View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1969 View Post
Any thoughts on not using a protein skimmer, just a canister filter with proper media.

I'm currently looking at a fluvol corner setup, problem being that the stand doesnt allow for a sump ( as most corner stands dont ), and I'm completely opposed to a hang on skimmer. So I'm debating a fluvol filter with ammonia media, carbon, Phosphate Remover ,Nitrate Remover and of course bio balls.

Any thoughts ? suggestions ....
What kind of tank are you setting up? Take bioballs and saltwater, and remove the combination from your head! Bioballs are not suitable for reef tanks. In fact, I personally don't think bioballs have a place in any saltwater tank. Maybe if you are setting up a fish only, but even then bioballs are just a nitrate factory. You should not need ammonia media, and nitrate media is only needed in overstocked fish only tanks. It sounds like you're a freshwater import by the medias you've listed? If so, there is a lot of differences in the filtration of freshwater tanks versus saltwater tanks, and a lot of new knowledge in the last 10 years that's for sure! As far as the skimmer goes, I would say that I would only suggest skimmerless to someone who has successfully kept a saltwater aquarium before, and by that I mean learned how to keep a tank "algae free". A skimmer helps HUGELY in this factor, and unless you can keep your tank algae free with a skimmer you have no hope in heck of doing it without one. You can make yourself a nice little algae mess.

SPS fanatic.