View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road
Default Reply

Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

There wasn't any coral reefs. The islands are all volcanic and small sponges and corals grow on the lava rocks - similar to Hawaii. Even though there is 3 currents bringing nutrients to the Galapagos, the water is colder limiting corals from growing.

On land I was using a Nikon D300 with mostly a Nikkor 70-300 mm lens. Some of the pictures are also from my wife who was using our older Nikon D70 with a Tamron 28-300 lens (which she dropped and broke the lens on our last day). Underwater, I am using my Nikon D300 in a Subal housing with two Sea and Sea strobes. I have a Nikkor 12-24 mm lens with a dome port for wide angle and a Nikkor 60 mm for macro. The whole setup is 26 lbs on land. I have foam floats on the strobe arms and around the front port to make it almost neutral underwater.
Shane

300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few