Thread: CO2 advice
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 02:32 PM

martym is on a distinguished road
Default CO2 advice

I have too much Co2 in my water. It is keeping the PH around 7.8-8.02.
I do have a Cal reactor hooked up to this system, but it rarely comes on due to the low Ph. I have it set to come on at 8.01 and off at 8
I know it is a CO2 issue because I turned off the Skimmer this AM to feed the corals, and the Ph dropped quickly to 7.78. Now that the skimmer is back on it has come up to 7.89 in just under an hour. The lights are still not on. I have a 50 gallon tank with a sump under the stand, which is fully enclosed other than the back, which is up against a wall with about a 4" gap. Here are my questions that I am looking for advice on.
1- With the skimmer (BK 180) in that enclosed area, wouldn't any CO2 that it removes just get sucked back in through the air intake? How can I avoid this. How long of an intake air hose can I add before it no longer adds enough air to the skimmer?
2- If I were to add a air stone to the sump which is very crowded, where would I put for most effectiveness, and wouldn't I just have the same issue as above?
3- I know that Kalk will remove Co2, but I don't want the Alk or Cal to be raised anymore than they are right now. Alk= 8DkH and Cal = 450. I am running Zeovit so I must keep the Alk low.
4- Ideally, I would like the Ph to run between 8.1 and 8.2
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you