Thread: low alkalinity
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
can you explain your dosing process? i.e. manual or mechanically?
thanks
I don't do anything automated as yet but was thinking of ordering some peristaltic pumps in the new year to automate the process. Having said that, Aqualifter pumps (sort of like an air pump but for water) are dirt cheap ($10) and probably would do the trick just fine.

I use Seachem "Reef Advantage" for Ca and "Reef Builder" for Alk. The instructions call for dissolving in tank water first, I don't even bother. I have some measuring spoons from a kitchen store (eg. 2.5ml, 5ml, 15ml, etc.) that I use to measure out what I need and I dump it in a high flow area of my sump. The important thing with dosing 2-parters is that you don't add them at the same time (they react with each other) so I do one in the morning before I leave for work and another in the evening after I'm done feeding the fish and so on.

You can use other 2-parter brands though, or you can even order the stuff in bulk. You can make your own alk additive using baking soda and washing soda too if you're inclined. No real hard and fast rules here.