Thread: My little Reef
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 PM

Patrice is on a distinguished road

As said above, I have an algae problem. The tank looks close to what it is on the last picture above but it's more green.

I know where that problem came from, all I have to do is to fix it. My filter was a little too strong so I remove some of the media in it. Right after, I got 3 new fish. It also took too much time before I changed the bulb. It was over 15 months old when I changed it the last month.

So I finally got a new bulb and I will donate 2 fish to a school. I found some macro algae last month but I am not sure what it is exactly. I hope this will help.
I keep doing 25% water changes once a week and I am using some Metal Gone in my filter. That product is a non-chemical algae remover I am trying. I started using it a week ago and it should take a month before it remove all the algae (according to the instruction). They say all I have is to syphon the algae when I do a water change. For now, noticed that the algae is easier to remove from the rock. They look weaker than usual and I can remove big patches of green algae with no effort. So I removed as much as I could while doing the water change.
There is still lots of algae left in the tank. I'll keep doing this for the next 3 weeks to see how good (or not) this product is. Anyway, even if it does not remove all the algae, I am glad I found a non-chemical product to assist me with that fight.

While doing the water change, I got burned by the frogspawn coral. I know I should use gloves but I always forget.