Thread: My little Reef
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 AM

Patrice is on a distinguished road
Talking My little Reef

Hi,
This tank is now 2 years old but I will first show you some of my old pictures.

It all started when a guy gave me some live rock. I had got some experiences with saltwater tank but I never had one. I did not know I was soon gonna give up on my 7 freshwater planted tank to only keep this new tank

The live rock I got was from a tank infested with cyano. So I decided to wait for a few month before to add any live stock to it. So my freshwater shrimp tank became the home of a few pound of live rock.

Tank size: 15 gallons
Maintenance: a water change every few weeks
Equipment :
15W T8 light (glad I got rid of that)
Aquaclear filter with algae in it
2 small power head from Hagen
Heater
I decided to go without sand to keep it simple.

Here it is after setup:

At 4 months, I got my first fish: A yellow watchman goby! I still have that fish.

At 6 months, I decided to upgrade a little an got a nice 150W MH. That quite strong for that small tanks but the idea was to get a bigger tank one day. I also bought my first corals! That was an awesome day

Here is the tank a few days after I got my first corals:

At 8 months, I decided it was time for a better filter. I would have live without but I did not know that so I bought a filtration system from Haitt Distributor. The system is unknown but after I had spoke with a few people who use it, I decided to give it a try.

And here it is at 8 months:

at about 10 months, I got my first problems with corals.

I am not sure what went wrong and I had no knowledge to figure it out. I asked on forums but got nothing so I have lost those botton polyps. They guy who sold me the filter told me the filter was the cause. According to him, the filter was a little too strong and because of that, they was nothing to eat for the botton polyps. Was that right? I am still not sure but since I reduced the filtration, things are doing better with botton polyps.

Ho! I was gonna forget! here is my mascot! A yellow cucumber. I started with one and ended up with two. I have spend a full day watching him split. That was quite cool!

More pictures soon!

Last edited by Patrice; 12-17-2008 at 03:05 AM.