View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I am moving on to lighting now, I had already decided to go MH and T5, but what kind of MH. SE throw out a lot more light than DEs do, when both run on a HQI ballast, but I have the problem if a narrow tank. I am thinking of only using one bulb in a pendant and mount it to the top of my hood so there is room for the T5s and to allow the pendant to cool properly. so I have to look at something that will be small enough to fit on the hood in a manor that will give me the best light spread.

so for position I am thinking the bulb should run front to back. now a SE reflector is longer than the hood will be deep so I could go with something like a Lumenmax 2 reflector SE and have 4 inches hanging off the back of the hood, or I could go with a reef optrix 3 DE and have it sit centered perfectly.

I am one who will always pick more intensity, but in this case I am letting looks win. The tank is only 18" tall so the intensity of the DE will be enough and the size will make it simple to mount to the hood.

I was going to put two pendants in the hood, but never got a reply about some questions from the guy who is selling them, so I will buy new ones so I get exactly what I am looking for.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.