View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road
Default It's time to say Goodbye...

to my 120 gal fresh tank. It has an overwhelming desire to become a reef.

The tank is 24x24x48, with a sump size to be determined when I figure out how to design the system and where to put things. To start out the tank will be set up with overflow boxes. Has anyone had experience with a good brand? What else is needed to make them work properly? How loud are they and how big a pain in the ___ are they? Would one big box or two small boxes be better? How much flow through the sump would be required? I know drilling is better, but the tank is probably going to be moved in the next couple years and the setup will be different. I'll drill it when I move it.

I'm also seriously considering trying the GARF method of cultured DIY LR. Mud and sand in the fuge with lots of macro.

First thoughts on the equipment list:
Tank
25 gal sump with fuge or another fuge added draining into the sump, all depends on how the space works out.
Frag tanks above the sump etc. I have lots of vertical space but a small foot print. T5's also.
Over flow boxes
T5 8 bulb lighting,
Skimmer, in sump Tunze, Deltec, ASM or similar.
Flow Koralia's, have had good luck with them.
Calcium, phosban reactors, probably not on initial setup.
Sand, I like the look of it, but hate the problems associated with it.
ATO, probably DIY.

Stocking list:
3 or 4 fish, Only for sure is a Mandarin.
SPS
LPS
Clams
Large CUC
Tuxedo urchin.

This project is a long way from happening. Lots of thought has gone into it. Now that I have SWMBO onside, it should happen this winter sometime.

TIA