View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 05:44 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I keep my flow going as well. Only have several corals that don't require target feeding. My fish don't mind chasing the food. I figure when I'm away for a few days, no one will be there to turn the pumps off and on at feeding time so they may as well get used to one mode. I let my auto fish feeder do its thing even when I'm at home, only difference is, I feed frozen goodies in the evening manually. The feeder is an Eheim double barrel model with flakes in one compartment and CycloPeeze granules in the other. The routine is flakes in the morning, granules around noon and the frozen goodies in the evening. Yep, 3 feedings a day but each one is a light feeding. So the only difference to the critters when I'm not around is the frozen stuff in the evening, they'll end up with more flakes from the auto feeder. Almost forgot, I also provide a small amount of nori on a clip for the tang & angelfish I have. Pumps have no effect on that of course.

In order to prevent all the flakes from ending up in the overflow for my skimmer, I fashioned an acrylic mount for the auto feeder with a kind of box affair extending into the water to act as a feeding ring. This allows the flakes to soak a little so that they sink instead of floating away on the surface. The Singapore angelfish and cleaner shrimp often come along and help flush the food out of the holding box. Once in the water column, the flow nicely distributes the stuff so everyone gets a crack at it. As far as I can tell, they enjoy the hunt.