View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
Not disagreeing with low salinity tanks, Ive seen them too, but it would explain the short time before the OP's sps all died. I can almost guarantee wherever he gets his corals from, the tanks there are not kept at 1.022; most lfs keep their tanks at the same salinity most reefers target: 1.025 (give or take a bit). the rapid jump to 1.022 is enough to kill a coral imo. I also have to aske how it was measured; hydrometer? refractometer? calibrated or not for either?
+1

The SG of 1.022 jumped out at me. I'd venture to guess that SG was derived using a hydrometer which would make the reported value more spurious. And if the only flow you have in a 75g tank is 2 Koralia 1's and a Koralia Nano then you have really insufficient flow for SPS.

dabandit,

I'd suggest you take some time to be more specific when reporting the details of your tank (i.e. what test kits are you using to come up with your reported parameters) and to post a picture of your tank. A bunch of reported parameters often doesn't provide as much information as a picture can. If you have hair algae growing for your tang then you can guarantee you don't have 0 phosphate and you likely don't have 0 nitrate.

Also, how long has the tank been set up and how long has the DSB been set up?
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"

Last edited by Canadian; 11-16-2008 at 10:51 PM.