View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 04:11 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scub steve View Post
i just have a regular magnet and it works good for me but this tank is a real pain if you do have to get too the bottom its really deep
I forget the brand name, but I have one of those long handled cleaning kits you find at most any LFS. It comes with various attachments including a metal scraper, sand claw and a scrubbing pad that has a nice curvature and a swivel head. Only downside is I broke the original handle cleaning my skimmer body. Seems the handle is made of a thin metal tube sealed in plastic. A little too much pressure sideways and 'kink' that was it. I was set to chuck the thing in the trash but was hesitant since I found the attachment so useful. The kits aren't that costly, but I didn't want to buy another since the handle is so crappy. Anyhow, I decided to repair it by cutting off the broken handle and replacing it with wood. Bought a nice long piece of dowel at the home improvement store and epoxied it into the hole I cleaned out on the plastic piece which accepts the cleaning attachments. Made the handle longer than the original, a coat of varnish, now I have a real fancy long handled cleaning thingy...

Anyhow, the curved cleaning pad may be useful to you if you're willing to chance the handle breakage issue. I'm thinking the ones with the longer handles would be worse since the diameter is the same as the shorter ones and it would take less force to kink them if you're trying to scrub a little harder.