View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Hold the horses friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Oceanic, I think you'll find it much cheaper if you price the ultralith from Ocean Aquatics. I think I had it priced out at around $30 a month for 100gal net water volume.
I paid attention to that fact when I did my calculations. Having dealt with Ocean Aquatics in the past, I realize their prices are fair. However, not all prices were listed on the website during my analysis and, for convenience’s sake, I went with a vendor that did have all the listed prices.

But for the sake of arguement, let’s do a quick comparison just to be sure:

UltraBio 50 ml: $56.03 (Progressive Reef)
Ultralith 1l: $19.07 (Progressive Reef)
Ultramin S 100ml: $26.28 (Progressive Reef)
Ultrabak 100ml: $26.28 (Progressive Reef)

UltraBio 50 ml: $38.49 (Ocean Aquatics)
Ultralith 1l: $17.39 (Ocean Aquatics)
Ultramin S 100ml: Price not listed, so let’s assume it’s the same price as the Ultrabak $23.89 (see Progressive Reef)
Ultrabak 100ml: $23.89 (Ocean Aquatics)

Cost difference $19.50.

At this rate, we’re looking at a 15% difference. So let’s apply that to my previous monthly figure:

$40.27 x 15% = $6.04, so our costs go down to $34.23/mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Also Ultralith doesn't have to be run using a reactor, or you can run it in a phosban reactor if you choose.
Both systems are ideally utilized with a reactor. In essence, your statement is correct, but a reactor is a big advantage to Probiotic methodology (see Aquadigital’s comments for set up), being able to agitate the media to slough off bacterial films is a GOOD THING and my corals can attest to this. Despite this, I can think of several examples on other forums and even here where Zeovit users have run the rocks in Phosban reactors successfully. I’m not trying to debunk Ultralith (yet), but I do think the two systems should be contrasted at points where they actually differ, without promoting or resorting to ‘halfway’ methods that yield subpar results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
Hi Oceanic corals.

In regards to support, now I am the distributor the support is constant, 7 days a week, contact me by email any time and you will get fast response, I am aware of issues in the past but that was the past, we are now commiting to our users and proud to assist everyone, no matter what system the support as many use parts of both.

The Ultra Lith starter is $99 and comes with 2L of media.
Aquadigital, I realize this and applaud your efforts. This is how things should be

But as far as the price goes, we still have to compare products where they merit comparisons, so let’s add another bag of media ($14.45 @ JL) to the Zeovit started kit at $82.30 = $96.75

Quote:
If your dosing and calculations are what you are basing your results on cost and tank effectiveness I am not surprised.

This is the reason why Ultra Lith is so popular and Cheaper! with Ultra Lith you don’t have to dose every day.

For example with other system you have to always dose the bio food stuff with fauna you only dose for two weeks, then stop for one week and repeat until you have brought your total media volume up to the correct level, after which you only dose for 2 weeks again when you do a media change, and here is another catch with other systems, you have to replace ALL the media, with Ultra lith you replace only half, so you see you are saving on media and bio immediatly.

If you were replacing ALL the media this is basically like starting from scratch again and so your results would never be very comparable.
First off, my dosages were calculated and followed according to the Ultralith manual. So if I and other (former) users were doing something wrong, then it is through no fault of our own. Consider a reiteration of context please.

Also:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14322
Reaffirmed by the manufacturer http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14318

Point being is that yes, with any Probiotic system, you can get away with using less equipment, dosing less product, getting slower results, then claiming that the processes are more natural. Fundamentally, however, you’re pulling the proverbial wool over your eyes to justify unimpressive results. My experience with the product already demonstrated this. From the looks of things, Christy’s experience also mirrored this sentiment.

I would like to note that when using Zeovit, you DO NOT have to presoak the media for a week nor do you replace all the media upon switch-out, you replace 75% of it. Apples to apples please.

Quote:
In regards to effectiveness other than this, Fauna employ only natural ways to achieve coral success, and do not adopt fast methods for temporary results, the Fauna system takes time but the results are natural and highly successful. As Claude points out no copper is used in the system only natural ingredients so you are replicating what is achieved on the wild, this does not mean other systems are wrong, just fauna takes the approach of replicating natures own methods.
Okay, this is where I take offense. I am neither ignorant nor am I stupid, but this post gave me pause. Am I really adding copper to my tanks? I almost fell out of my chair reading this; I am well aware of the detrimental toxic effects of copper. However, upon further digging:

http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread....ghlight=copper

Look, my previous post was to elaborate in as to what constitutes as a better system IMO. You may not look upon it as such, but I find such broad handed statements not only advocate fallacy, but misrepresents how the system (Zeovit) functions. Basically, it’s comparable to quote mining and, as a salesman by trade, I don’t appreciate the underhanded tactics by either yourself or the manufacturer. You can give us the straight facts and that would be appreciated a great deal, but the current lot of information really dissuades me from attempting the brand any further.

So, being accountable, let’s look at the facts (as per my research):

- The Zeovit system is a product produced by Korallen-Zucht.
- Korallen-Zucht manufacturers a host of other additive lines that work independently of the Zeovit system.
- The Zeovit system does NOT contain COPPER in any form, be it organic or inorganic, chelated or otherwise.
- The product you refer to is called Spur2. This is an optional additive that can either be used either with or without the Zeovit and has no association with Probiotic methodology. See the above link for more info on Spur2.

Ultimately, Fauna Marin should be able to stand independently by its own merits and should not need misrepresentation of information to generate a sale and/or following.

Last edited by OceanicCorals-Ian-; 10-09-2008 at 07:19 PM.