View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
-Is a HOB filter (Whisper 60) adequately sized to handle a 54 SW? or should I invest in a Canister system?
Ditch both of those. They will just create nitrates in your tank. If you already own one of these though, you can fill it up with live rock rubble and it will help with filtration. You can also use it to put a bag of carbon or phosphate media.

Quote:
-Is a skimmer required right from the beginning?
You will save yourself A LOT of headaches if you do. You will also save yourself a lot of headaches if you buy a PhosBan Reactor and some high quality GFO (granular ferrous oxide) media for it. Look for reddish brown media instead of white media. If you run this from the very first day you'll thank me later. Ok you likely won't...but that's only because you won't realise all the hassle it saved you!

Quote:
-What is the recommended light wattage for a tank of this size? (I have 2x39W T5HO @ 36")
This cannot be answered in the way you asked it. That's like asking "is this enough water to fill my tank?" without showing me how much water you have. BUT...from what you're planning for now, it will likely be quite sufficient for softies, and some LPS placed higher up. How deep is your 54g tank?

Quote:
-How much GPH should a 54G be running for proper flow?
This is another one of those questions. This depends HUGELY on the type of corals that you want to keep. Softies require less flow generally, and LPS a bit more, SPS a lot more. Try to aim for 10-15x turnover just in powerheads to start. The minimal flow you NEED is enough to keep detritus from settling on the sand. You will notice it settling in little nooks on the sand, and you eed to adjust your powerheads to get to that spot. If you can't get to all the spots with two powerheads, add a third. Then you have to move your corals around so that they're happy with the flow AND the light. It can be fun sorting it all out.

I'd throw a couple Maxi-Jet 1200s in there for now. See how that goes.

Quote:
Any other info you can help me with, and things I need to be aware off in a sumpless system would be great!
Read. A LOT.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-23-2008 at 02:52 AM.