View Single Post
Old 01-22-2002, 02:39 AM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default Domolite lime and other lost arts...

Steve,

Sorry if I got my numbers mixed up but I am sure somewhere a make up of one tpye of dol;omite avaiable was 60%. I'll look into it further. Still to me 37% is a lot higher than <1.5%.

Just me tho..

I wanted to add a few points in as well.

Ok Dolomite lime is used for lawns. We all know that. We know the chemical makeup of the dolomite. Another concern I have is what happens to it after it leaves the processing plant?

It is a lawn care product. So where is it stored? With lawn care products. ie. fertilizers, pesticides etc etc. It is stored next to or with all kinds of other chemicals and other items meant for lawn use only. Who is to say if along the way someone didn't accidentally spill a bit of some pesticide or other toxin on the package of dolomite? How do you make sure that this doesn't happen? Once again all it takes is someone getting the worng bag that this has happened and pow. dead tank. Diazanon and Copper sulfate are two chemicals I can think of that are stored in warehouses with Dolomite. I am sure if we were to ask Scott he can tell us about how this stuff is around more things than we can imagine.

Why take the risk? If you want to and are willing to take that chance go for it. I just won't sit and not state my concerns. Killing a tank of corals is not worth saving a few bucks on a substrate.

I don't want you guys to think I am against you or anything. Please don't I just have concerns over using something that is not made for or processed for our tanks going in them. I can go on with more concerns but think I have made my point.