View Single Post
Old 01-22-2002, 01:13 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road
Default Domolite lime and other lost arts...

Hi,

Okay...here we go again...domolite

1) Isn't this stuff used in lawns ? How could it be reef safe ?

Well, domolite was actually formed in the ocean...a long long time ago. It is basically, the precipitation of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate in the ocean. This is same calcium buildup we that we see on our pumps and glass. It actually happens in the ocean too... Over time, the ocean floors are build up with the carbonates and compacted in to limstone, calcite, domolite and etc. As the earth tectonic plates shift and move, some of the limestone deposits get pushed up to form mountains and coast lines. This is where we find dolomite is mine and sold as stuff for lawns. In fact, it is fairly safe and it would have the same contaiminants as playsand (i.e. metal shaving from crushers and such). In fact, how does caribsea ensure all of their sand has no metals....big magnets ? So, it is best to run a magnet through your domolite (or playsand or even Caribsea), so that it is relatively clean. Still think it is unsafe ? Send me a rebutal.

2) Domolite, that's calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonte...if the DSB has low pH (because of CO2 in DSB), then would the magnesium dissolve in to the water and cause problems ?

To a certain degree, magnesium will dissolve in a fairly low pH. But, it is fairly unlikely that pH would be low enough to do that. Although there is a oxygen depleted zone in the DSB for anerobic bacteria, the anerobic bacteria are usually consuming nitrates and they don't produce that much CO2. Unless you are generating a tremenous amount of CO2 (like a calcium reactor with 30 bpm) in a small space, the buffers will absorb the pH drop caused by CO2 (or carbonic acid). Since the pH drop will be very small, the amount of dissolution that can happen in is considered insoluble.

Do I like Caribsea or do I have something against them ?

Actually, I bought my first bag of sand for my tank from Caribsea. I used it on my 20 gal and it seemed to do well. Sadly...it is now inside my calcium reactor [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] But, I think they are a great product, but this stuff is expensive. So, I went and explored alternative ways to build a DSB. Today, I use domolite.

Anything wrong with Calcite/Carbsea ?

The think the thing that confuses me is why is Caribsea sand not white ? By definition, calcium carbonate should be snow white. And yet, Caribsea is not. As Steve (Stircrazy), it is actually kind of yellowish white. My Caribsea is the same off white. Domolite is snow white...

So, I hope that answers some of your questions.

- Victor.

[ 21 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]</p>