View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Thanks, I realize that, but it's OK - I already have 2 ready to go. Like I said earlier though it's my frustration that there aren't displays where you can go and see and compare each in person that makes preguessing beforehand what is the better choice for you somewhat difficult. If I could have seen both in person I might have made a different choice in how to spend the investment.

I kind of agree, kind of disagree that waves are a gimmick. I would put it as, water flow is just the most important aspect of modeling the biotope. The whoosh whoosh back and forth effect is a nice aesthetic but the more important part of the equation is the dispersion of the flow and the distribution. When Rob Toonen came to town a few years back I had a great conversation with him about water movement. (I'm quoting him now because I don't have any references handy, sorry), he told me that water movement from opposing directions (as opposed to a static flow condition) can influence coral growth by as much as ten times. That's not insignificant, and if you think about it, it makes sense that a reef doesn't see water coming in the same direction 100% of the time.

So I think it depends on how you're using it and why.

At any rate, I keep trying to say that I think the Vortech is a good unit and it feels like you keep trying to argue with me. I don't get it. So, I guess I'll just stop playing now. You're right ... um .. whatever it is you're trying to say, you're right, and I'm wrong. Peace out. (J/K - note the smileys. I like the Vortech, I'm sort of second guessing my choices now is all.)

Last edited by Delphinus; 04-09-2008 at 07:04 AM.