View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-diddy View Post
Sucks for newbies like me trying to make purchases with a budget.

Is a $9000 skimmer better than a $100 one? Is it $8900 dollars better?

There should be a consumer report site for EVERYTHING out there.

I can buy a magazine for lemon cars to buy but who talks about crapper skimmers? I guess that's why I'm here.

Now... gotta get back to my slimfast and spray on hair. I'm a 600 lb Gorilla right now and I'm trying to perfect my look.
a "consumer report site" for marine aquarium gear ain't gonna happen. the car market's a bajillion times larger than our elitist saltwater market. More revenue's collected from toasters than protein skimmers in north america

small tank HOB skimmer that's the "safest" yet not $500+ would be the aqua-c remora. it's designed so that it "can't" overflow (goes back into the skimmer).

As for the difference in quality/performance between cheap and expensive skimmers it's all relative really for in sump skimmers but quite drastic for HOB models. A bubbleking is pretty kick *** but they really only skim more than 20% more than a euroreef in most cases (at the most). The price difference is in build quality. If you have the time to clean your pump every 3-6 months then go with the euroreef. if you have cash to blow like some advantaged people have then go with the bubbleking.

As for HOB skimmers there is a much more noticable difference in price/quality between most models. It seems the HOB skimmer market is full of junk because of the large market for them. Some company needs to get their rear in gear and release an up-to-date needlewheel/meshwheel model that's well priced for the HOB market (like a HOB euroreef or the likes). People needing HOB skimmers usually don't have as large a budget as those needing in sump (or even external) skimmers.

Very few people buy a deltec HOB skimmer compared to the people buying bubblekings. and some products like the rio nano-skimmer should be boycotted. but that's my opinion. not fact.