View Single Post
Old 02-24-2003, 05:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Having just read through that longgggggg thread on RC on this topic ... Reefphish, your question reminds me about what Randy Holmes-Farley said about his setup.

A GCFI plug for each electrical device with a plug!!! Wow, that must be some panel he's got.

Your typical plug in has a little notch that you can cut out so that the two plugs become independent and need their own wiring. Not having looked at a GFCI backside recently, I think that even if a GFCI has the same feature, that it probably means only one plug would be GFCI since I imagine they only have the circuitry only once. So basically I think what you're asking, the answer is no -- both plugs are together.

But what you could do, is something like this. Go purchase two replacement appliance cords (you know, the molded plug on one end, bare wires on the other end). An outdoor receptable box (you can get them in PVC), and then two GFCI's. Wire up the GFCI's in the box, use the appliance cord to plug into the other receptable. Mount these new boxes in your stand, or wherever ... and presto, you've got two GFCI's out of each plug on your receptable on the wall, and you didn't even need to remove anything out of the wall.

Just a thought anyways.. I would think that having multiple GFCI's is better than one "all encompassing GFCI" for the reasons already expressed -- that it sucks to come home and find your tank has been flatlined for who knows how long. At least this way if one device trips, it only shuts off itself, and everything else gets to hum along happily.