View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I have a male and female Blue Throat. Each is about 6" or more. They show no interest in hermit crabs, SPS, clams, LPS or soft coral. So, I suppose that makes them "reef safe". I feed them very well, so that may contribute to their lack of nibbling.

The male blue throat ate a large feather duster worm.

The have voracious appetites. I would NOT recommend them unless you enjoy/want to feed your tank heavily. Between the two of them, they could easily polish off a golf ball sized lump of food, daily.

They get large. Even in my 400 gallon system, they are NOT happy in captivity and tend to swim in repetitive patterns unless being fed. They have teeth, and will draw blood if you are bitten. They have extremely rough, tough skins and they will scratch an acrylic tank just by rubbing up against it.

So my personal recommendation is that they are reef safe, but I would only recommend them for a VERY large, glass-only, tank.

Oh yes, my male often gets involved in high speed chasing of the female which results in them crashing through SPS branches, causing unplanned frags. While you can see the scrapes on their skins from these run-ins, the scrapes heal up in hours.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436