View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM

Funkytone is on a distinguished road
Default I'm moving, need some advice.

I’m moving at the end of this month and have never moved a tank before. I want to take this opportunity to do some work on it since I’m taking it apart anyways. I’m only moving about 5 minutes down the road and we have access to the new house right now because nobody’s in it.

Currently I have the following:

75g Display Tank
20g (approx) acrylic sump
Old black stand with no extra room underneath and I don’t trust it anymore

Switching it up to:
75g Display Tank (same one)
50g glass sump
New wood stand with enough room for the 50g and more, its built oversize to have about a 10” ledge around front and side)

Basically, I’m using the same display tank but moving it onto a new stand and new sump. I'm going to switch over from a durso to a herbie overflow and redo all the plumbing to work into the new sump.

Here’s the questions I have:

I’m wondering if I should setup a temporary tank at the new house for a bit then transfer everything into the new setup? Or take them out of the 75g, put in buckets/bags and move them directly to the new location in the same day? I’m worried that moving them to a temp setup and then a week later moving them into the display would stress them out.

Can I use some Rubbermaid tubs, or new garbage cans for the temporary setup, rather than finding tanks?

I’ve never had anything between the tank and stand before so I want to get some foam or something, what should I get?

How much of the old saltwater should I use in the new tank?

Should the sand be ‘washed’ before putting it in the new tank? I’ve heard about mixing the sand up and it releases crap into the water?

Thanks for reading through, any advice is appreciated.

-Tony