View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 AM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post
well when you buy a tank yes the bottom is raised 1/4" but they also have the black bottom trim to help hold the bottom together, my question is, is how strong would that joint between the bottom and sides and front be if it wasn't reinforced by the trim piece....if you think about it on a 150 gal with water sand rock and what not pushing down on that bottom pain is the silcone joint strong enough without that trim piece to hold like 800lbs of presure??

or should I just build it with the bottom piece actually on the bottom, garf said I only need 3/8" glass on the bottom but I am gonna gop with either 1/2" or 5/8" glass on the bottom...I don't want to use tempered because I need to drill 3 holes in it!!
Most manufactures will use a floating bottom, this reduces the possibility of anything creating a pressure spot on the glass. The Black trim is not structural at all, it does nothing to hold the glass in place, it does make it a little easier when putting it together, and hold the bottom off the stand but not hold the glass together. 3/8th would not be sufficient for a 150 with any holes in it, depending on how close you are planning on having the holes to each other 1/2 would be sufficient. If the holes are really close together 5/8 would be what I would choose. I would not even use a 3/8th bottom on a 150 with no holes.

If you choose to not use a frame, ensure that your stand is perfect, and even at that I would use foam or carpet underlay.