View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, thanks for the excellent replies. You both make valid points, but there's something that I'd like to clarify:

I'm not making an argument/claim for either side. Rather, it's more about exploring whether or not there's a wholesome argument in that dieting behaviour can be attributed to 21st century advancements or if there are factors only affected by nature.

Furthermore, the bulk of my speculation lies in the interaction between the advent of civilization as modern man and our physiology. It's not that we inherit skeletal structures as much as it is a propensity towards a certain body type.

That said, my reference to natural selection means refers to the possiblity that medical technology and a modern healthcare system reduce mortality rates, giving any traits/genes an opportunity to be passed down to generations (e.g., genetic predispositions).

The reason my example of early hominid lifestyle/diet overlaps with modern Homo sapien genetics is due to the transition from bumbling neanderthals over the generations; that is, any of the aforementioned technological advancements. Natural selection was more relevant in the past but as sophisticated modern man, we now have the means to keep vegetative persons functioning and 2 pound babies alive through machines.

What are the implications about our ancestors and our current understanding according to nature/nurture?

Last edited by Moogled; 01-28-2008 at 03:43 PM.