View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In this 21st century, our wealth of information has grown beyond knowing what a body does.
well first of all, Id just like to say that we have no freakin idea how the majority of our body functions work.

Quote:
Using findings from anthropology, it's been found that many earlier Homo sapiens have extremely lean and fit bodies due to their diet and lifestyle.
diet and lifestyle does not affect skeletal structure (which is virtually all you find really, and almost never a complete set), so I don't know where you got the proof behind no obese early hominids. That and, you have to realize that given all the living creatures on the planet, and all their possible fates, being fossilised is a ridiculously remote event. There is no way any fossil record could ever give an overview of any given population (human or otherwise) to support that claim.

although, fwiw, i dont think there were as many obese people then as there are now, I just disagree with the unsupported assumption that there were none.

But past that, I do see your main point (even if the main argument is a bit muddled). Our society thrives on a litany of excess that includes much more than just food. It's ridiculous to the point of madness and Im convinced that eventually we'll choke ourselves to death on it one way or another.

Quote:
With much of medical care and technology undermining "natural selection", it's no wonder that pretty much ANY genetic/hereditary inheritance is possible.
Well, actually the event passing of genetic information and natural selection are pretty distinct. Whether natural selection is present or not, genes will be passed on (given the organisms aren't extinct of course). I think the term you're looking for is artificial selection; human induced selection. It's the same as what we did to breed species of dogs to be domestic pets that never existed in the wild.

Last edited by justinl; 01-28-2008 at 07:46 AM.