View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 AM

Moogled is on a distinguished road
Default Biopsychology: Nature vs Nurture?

Hey guys, here's a quick blog that I wrote when I started thinking about genetics vs experiences (or a combination of both). Dieting behaviours are a big issue nowadays and discussion about how some physical changes are predispositioned and others are chaped have come up.

Serious comments (hopefully with good written skills) are extremely welcomed and appreciated:

In this 21st century, our wealth of information has grown beyond knowing what a body does. We have substances to work with biological processes knowing that irregularities can be controlled; much like how insulin is used to treat diabetes. Even normative processes such as "fast/slow" metabolism are further debunked. Bodybuilders make use of protein synthesis knowledge and ephedrine cycles in order to facilitate their gains.

It would be too bold to say that armed with knowledge and experience about biology, that you're set for life. Using findings from anthropology, it's been found that many earlier Homo sapiens have extremely lean and fit bodies due to their diet and lifestyle. Much like how many of you have stated, proper eating habits and lifestyle, supplemented by knowledge of bodily processes, can certainly counteract many (not all) biological predispositions.

But you know what else I think? For all the talk about understanding biology and how genetic predispositions have an effect, I've never seen any mention of an obese Homo erectus and/or early Homo sapien. We're talking about a people that needed to chase prey for 5 days before trying to kill it with sticks and stones. I think that civilization has procured indulgement in our lives to the extent that we were given the opportunity to drive while eating donuts, and offering an officer one when we get pulled over. That said, the advent of modern man has also allowed us to pass genes down throughout generations. With much of medical care and technology undermining "natural selection", it's no wonder that pretty much ANY genetic/hereditary inheritance is possible.

Let me put this into perspective:

There are more than 60 million obese adults in the US - how many of them do you think abstain from sex?

Last edited by Moogled; 01-28-2008 at 06:01 AM. Reason: - 1 fat joke.