View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Sorry Dale, forgot there was a height limitation. Here we are up to 6ft.

I have looked at, but not used the Tunze. For in sump use and capability of that size, then for sure Euroreef would be a good choice.

As for the becketts, even though they are designed to be run beside a sump, I tried my 32in. MR3 in the sump. The gate valve was submersed and it still worked perfect.

So, as suggested above, if thats your preference, the have a 32 or 36 in beckett built with duel injectors, driven by a pair of Mag 24 pumps. Everything in the sump, nice and neat. With the pair of Mags running in there, the heaters would hardly kick on. May have to watch it in the summer though.

Here is the kicker though;

Big Iwaki--- at least a couple hundred watts.
Two Mak 4 pumps---- 200 watts.
Two Mag 24 pumps----500 watts.
Euroreef w/ 2 Sedra pumps @ 55watts each---110 watts total.

Perhaps, you could also go as Troy is looking into. Run a beckett in the sump and drive it with a single pump, like an Iwaki 100, outside the pump.

Costs; {rough}
36in. beckett from Jayson around $450 or $500.
Iwaki 100, according to Troy, around $600------- Total--app. $1100

With duel injectors, pump cost would be;
Mak4 pumps @ $225 each---------$450 total
Mag24 pumps @ $225 each--------$450 total.
These are of course just app. costs.

A CS12-2, which is a 32in. by 12in. Euroreef, including two Sedra 500 pumps is $838 US.

A CS12-3, which us a 36in. by 12 in. Euroreef, including three Sedra 500 pumps, is $1058 US. {going by my single, small Euroreef, this baby must put out some kinda ca-ca. }

Euroreef prices courtesy of www.exoticfish.com I know Jeff also builds the Southbay needle wheel skimmers and could perhaps build you a custom order.