View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 02:59 AM

Brent F is on a distinguished road
Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloat View Post
I'm pretty sure my sump can handle the extra water incase of a power outage......and I can get an extra pump in my sump to drive water to the new tank.....I just don't know how to let the water flow from the new tank to the sump, since it will have to travel against gravity up about 6' before heading back down to the sump again......
If the high point is below the overflow height the system should flow without having to have a siphon. The pressure of the water moving down will push the water up. The more water pushing down vs pushing up the faster it will flow.

Here's a link to a picture of the Brooks Aquaduct where the water goes under a rail line. This shows how water can drop and rise again using just gravity. Basically if there is more water pushing down than you are trying to push up the system will flow
http://www.agnew.biz/travel06/070716%20CRW_3330.jpg

If the point you have to go over is higher than the overflow you would need a siphon making this layout risky - siphon break could cause a flood.

One thing you can do to test this would be to setup a couple buckets and a hose running the route. See it the hose will flow or not.
________
vapir air one vaporizer

Last edited by Brent F; 01-23-2011 at 06:24 PM.